Friday, December 21, 2012

I'm The First DJ To Put His Jingle In A Mix-Tape---DJ Kamol, Kami-Kami-Kami




“I Did The First Mix-Tape That Became Popular In Naija, UK, US & Dublin”

"Street Banger Sold More Than Any Album You Can Name"

"If I Accept Every Babe That Wants Me, I Would Have Run Down By Now"

+His View About Jimmy Jatt & Others

Bamifayose Emmanuel who is popularly known as DJ Kamol Kami-Kami-Kami is a house-hold name with most lovers of music in Nigeria. Young and upwordly mobile, the fair complexione turn-table whiz-kid burst into Nigerians' consciousness with his mix-tape entitled:Street Banger. The Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti state born DJ made money and fame and has kept waxing stronger. In this no-holds-barred interview with Different Stroke Media, DJ Kamol spoke about his career, achievement, other DJs and women. Excerpt:

What is your real name?

Bamifayose Emmanuel popularly known as DJ Kamol,Kami-Kami-Kami.

How did you start the job of a DJ?

Well, all the way it's not been easy but I thank God for today. Because we are making sense and things are working fine. It's not been easy though. I think I started 8 years ago. And I started from the street when there was no mixer; nothing to play with, you know. Back in the days when we used just CD player. That was when I started. But I give God the glory because we are making serious progress now

Tell us the story of how you became popular between when you started and now...

Yeah, popularity is not the work of anybody but the work of God. When I started, I never thought I would reach the place I am today. Then, I started when I was in Ojoo and when I started the hustling like playing here and there, everybody started calling me DJ,  DJ, DJ, I like how you play. Don't worry, by God's grace you'll go far and I'll say amen. And I continued doing it till when I got to know Sound Sultan (Naija Ninja). So I started working with him and during the trade fair festival, I met 2face, I met face, I met all other Naija acts...

(Cuts in) What were you doing for Sound Sultan?

Yeah, I worked for him as his personal DJ and that was 5 years ago when the Trade Fair festival was going on. So, I just went there to look for a job and thank God I met him and I told him, baba, I can do this thing very well. And he said if you can do it, go and bring your set and let's see. And thank God when I got there, I displayed and everybody was patronising our stand and things worked out.

How did you get the nick-name DJ kamol?

Actually, one of my friends gave me a Kamol cap and once I put it on people would go like, mehn, this Kamol is fine. Ah, I like it, please don't pull it o, just be wearing that Kamol. So I thought of it that everyone is saying this Kamol fits me and I then said fine, I don't have a DJ name yet and when I got home I told my friends, as from today on, call me DJ Kamol. So when I met Sultan I told him my name is DJ Kamol and I want you to do a skit for me. And when we got into the studio, he was now playinh with the mic like, Kami-Kami-Kami, DJ Kamol koma kamo. Hey, oya let's go into the place...

Can you tell us some of the major shows you have featured in?

Yeah, today, I can play at any carnival...

(Cuts in) I mean the shows you have done already...

That's what I'm saying. I started playing carnival let's say 4 years ago. As in professional carnival, I started playing it 4 years ago. And based on the street level, I don't even play on radio; I didn't learn the DJ work from any where, I just learnt from the street. And anything carnival because carnival is street and I do carnival things very well. So I have big, big, experience from this carnival stuff where touts, you know, the good ones, the bad ones; how to relate with them and thank God, I do get more carnivals. I play carnival very well. I think I have played more than 100 carnivals across the country.

What kind of relationship exists between you and other top DJs like Jimmy Jatt and the rest?

Yeah, I know all of them starting from Jimmy Jatt to our own Alaba side, DJ K-Wise, DJ Rilwan, I know them very well. Actually, I started the Alaba thing by putting my jingle in a mix-tape. I started it. Then, the first mix-tape that became popular in Nigeria, UK, US, Dublin, just name the country, I did it. And the title of the mix-tape is Street Banger. It sold more than...I don't know. And when I say I don't know, it means I don't know the number. It sold more than any album you can name. So, that was what brought out the name DJ Kamol. That mix-tape. And as par my relationship with the likes of Jimmy Jatt, he is our boss. He is doing well,he is doing good. So, any time he has a show, he does call us that, just come around and showcase yourself. He does that to every one of us.

Since Street Banger sold very well that means you must have made so much money...

Actually, I thank God for the level of richness and I think that the CD Street Banger, if it were in the
US or the UK, I think by now I would be competing with the likes of Dangote and co. But in Nigeria, it's pirates. I can't really say I made so mucg money from it but I can boast of the name. I made name from it. It really didn't give me the money.

What inspires you to do your mixing? Do you drink, smoke or what?

This is going to be funny and that is the fact that I don't drink. I have never tasted anything alcohol and I don't smoke. What give me inspiration are my speakers. When I'm hearing sounds, I get inspired. I feel like doing a lot of things; I want to mix, as in I love sound, I love music. So, any time I'm alone, and I'm playing, I'll be getting higher and higher, you know. That's just it. And people give me inspiration. Once I see crowd, I'll get inspired like, I want to play, I want to play.

So, how are you handling babes with your popularity?

Yeah, for the ladies stuff, I think I'm coping with them. Any time they call me, I see them. So, I do welcome them like, okay, you want to be my friend, you are welcome. And I know how to avoid them when when I need to because if I have to be seeing them every time they call me, I think by now I would have run down. But I thank God I'm using my brain. Though, I'm not perfect but at least I'm trying to avoid some and welcome some.

Are you thinking of taking one of them for keeps soon?


Hmmmnnn, should I say I have a fiancée already. So, we are just praying to God that everything should work out.

So, the wedding bell might toll soon...

Yeah, it might toll in 2 years or any time.

Finally, what is your ultimate dream as a DJ?

Yeah, should I say I dream of being like DJ Khalid where by I'll do my mix-tape things, go to shows, make my money. And I'm dreaming of having my own bar at the baech side. You know, like having a very big bar, a lot of speakers, inviting guest artistes and people would come around to enjoy themselves. I have a big dream. I want to go to UK by next year by His grace. I want to work with them in their radio stations. I'm thinking very big sir.

Okay, all the best...

Alright sir. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment