Sunday, December 23, 2012

I Don't Belong To Any Family In Fuji Music--- Fuji Act, Wale Tekoma





 
*Gbenga Adeboye's Album, Supremacy, Made Me Popular

*Fuji Star, Wale Tekoma

Simply called Wale Tekoma, singing fuji music comes naturally to this young man. And having spent about 2 decades in the industry, it is not a surprise that he has been able to situate himself as an artiste of note. In this interview with Different Stroke Media, Wale Tekoma bares it all about his career and how late enigmatic broadcaster and humour merchant, Gbenga Adeboye, helped his career and lots more. Excerpt:


How did you start singing Fuji?

I started singing when I was attending an Arabic school, Moderatul Aqibat Lil Mu Taqeen that is the name of the school. And that was about 20years ago.

Did you start on your own or was a part of someone else's band at the beginning?

I started on my own. I started with Islamic music and after graduating from the Arabic School I now changed it to Fuji music.

So you didn't learn how to sing from anyone...

Yes, I didn't learn from anyone. My singing is a natural gift from God

Is Tekoma your real surname?

No. It's my stage name.

What are are your real names?

Musbaudeen Adewale Dauda. Dauda is my surname

So how did u coin the stage name:Tekoma and whatt does it mean?

That is a long story. And the answer to that question is better given by my singing about it. (Sings) Dauda lon sadura fun mi, baba Dewale. Ohun pelu mama mi Aduke Silifatu...won l'Ayinde omo mi, gbogbo ise ti oba se, te ko ma losiwaju, te ko ma losiwaju.(it was from parents prayers for me that I coined the stage-name because they always pray that I advance in what ever I do in life which is expressed as Te ko ma losi waju in Yoruba and later contrasted and shorten to Tekoma by me).

So the full form is Tekomalosiwaju?

That’s correct.

So how many albums have you waxed so far?

Eleven.

Do you still remember all their titles and year of release?

Yeah. Anything Can Happen in 1999, Abami Omo in 2000, Unification and  God Father in 2001, Category A in 2002, Romeo and  Juliet in 2003, Shine Your Face in 2003, God's Gift in 2005, Expensive Boy in 2007, The Truth in 2009 and Facebook in 2012.

Why did you title your current album:Facebook?

Because that is the easiest way to get in tourch to all my
​​ fans home and abroad. Facebook is the surest modern way of relating with anyone around the world and that is why I dedicated the album to it.

You featured in Gbenga Adeboye's album,Supremacy released in year 2000.Is it correct 2 say u became more popular by featuring in d album?

You are very right. Gbenga Adeboye of blessed memory brought me to the spotlight with that album. And I remain eternally grateful to him even in death.

So what has music done for you?

I thank Almighty God for my achievement but I don’t wanna disclose any one of it. Alhamdulillahi.

How many countries has music taken you to?

I have been to London and South Africa. I have also traveled to Saudi Arabia for holy pilgrimage.

When you graduated from the Arabic school,did you go to any other school after?

1991 was when I graduated from the Arabic school. I attended Agidingbi primary school and secondary school but still wish to further.

So what is your take on the different families cropping up in Fuji music?

I'm on my own. I'm not into any family. I'm a neutral man.

Are you married?

Yeah

How do you cope with female fans and their excesses?

They are my fans and supporters. They will definitely like to hang out with me. My  own I know my limitation with them. My career is first in anything I do.


What is your most memorable experience as a Fuji artiste?

That was the day I recorded my first album in 1998.

Do you feel fulfilled as a Fuji artiste?

Capital YESSS.

Finally,what is your message for your fans?

I just wanna thank all my fans home and abroad for their support because without them I will not be where I am today. I just wanna let them know I love them all they should be expecting my next album soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment